Protect the Melody of Love! Usagi is a Cupid
Usagi, disguised as a musician, infiltrates the jazz club.
|Name (Kanji/kana):||守れ恋の曲! うさぎはキューピッド|
|Name (Romaji):||Mamore Koi no Merodi! Usagi wa Kyuupiddo|
|Name (Translated):||Protect the Melody of Love! Usagi is a Cupid|
|Name (Viz Dub):||Protect the Melody of Love: Usagi Plays Cupid|
|Animation Director:||Kazuko Tadano|
|Air Date:||April 18, 1992|
|Previous Episode:||A Youma's Scent! Chanelas Steal Love|
|Next Episode:||Usagi Learns a Lesson! The Road to Stardom is Tough|
|First English Dub Episode|
|Previous Episode:||Scent of a Monster: Chanela Will Steal Your Love|
|Next Episode:||Usagi Learns Her Lesson: Becoming a Star Is Hard Work|
Jadeite shows Queen Beryl a cassette which uses high-frequency soundwaves to drain the energy of living things. With Beryl's approval, he gives the cassette to his Youma Kyurene, instructing her to insert the high-frequency waves into human music.
Naru is playing a CD by the jazz pianist Yusuke Amade for Usagi. While Naru dreams of meeting him, Yusuke is actually nearby, outside the offices of Jam Records. Inside, Kyurene appears and plants the cassette in one of the recording studio's tape decks, but an employee, Akiko Yanagi, comes into the studio and takes the tape, believing it to be someone else's.
Akiko meets Yusuke in the lobby and gives him the tape. Yusuke is plainly in love with Akiko, and has even named his new song after her, but Akiko fails to notice and is quickly called away. Yusuke leaves with what he believes to be his tape, with Kyurene in pursuit.
Usagi and Luna leave Naru's house and get caught in the rain. A frantic Yusuke collides with Usagi, and tells her that a monster is chasing him. Usagi and Luna walk with him to the club he is playing at, and he leaves her his card. Only then does Usagi realize who he is. Luna believes Yusuke is being targeted by a Youma, and says that they should keep an eye on him. Meanwhile, Jadeite is furious with Kyurene for losing the tape, and demands that she find it.
Usagi uses the Disguise Pen to get into the adults-only nightclub, and hears Yusuke play. He quickly leaves, and goes to the parking lot, where Kyurene attacks him and takes the tape. Usagi and Luna arrive and the Youma flees. Yusuke is desperate to get his tape back, and he, Usagi and Luna are soon chasing Kyurene in Yusuke's car.
They catch up with Kyurene at Jam Records, where she has knocked out the staff and is about to return the tape. Luna tackles her and Usagi gets the tape. In response, Kyurene reveals her Youma form. As Yusuke realizes that the tape isn't his, the Youma grabs Akiko and threatens to kill her unless they return the cassette. Usagi instead throws it into the air; Kyurene jumps for it, Yusuke pulls Akiko to safety, and Luna catches the tape and destroys it. Kyurene flees, and Usagi transforms into Sailor Moon.
Sailor Moon and Kyurene face off at the concert hall. The Youma fires soundwaves at her, but she responds by hurling a microphone into their path, amplifying them and sending them back at Kyurene. Finally, she destroys the Youma with Moon Tiara Action.
While Yusuke confesses his love to Akiko, Sailor Moon takes her leave. Soon after, Naru is lamenting that Yusuke got married. Usagi doesn't mind though, since his new CD is dedicated to Sailor Moon.
- In Sailor Moon's speech in the introduction to this episode, she said that Bach, the "Father of Music," was angry. In the episode itself, however, she used Haydn in her speech instead of Bach, and was corrected by Luna. Her confusion arose because Bach is sometimes called the "Father of Music," but Haydn is called "Papa" Haydn.
- The animation sequence for Moon Prism Power, Make Up changed slightly starting in this episode.
- This episode had a slight adjustment to the opening sequence: in the part where Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, and Sailor Mars had appeared as veil-wrapped silhouettes against a moon backdrop, they now cast off the veils and appeared in their Sailor Senshi forms. This would remain until episode 27, which had a completely new opening sequence.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Naru Osaka - Shino Kakinuma
- Queen Beryl - Keiko Han
- Jadeite - Masaya Onosaka
- Kyurene - Emi Shinohara
- Yusuke Amade - Norio Wakamoto
- Akiko Yanagi - Rumiko Ukai
- Band Man - Hisao Egawa
- Studio Worker - Toshio Kobayashi
| Previous episode:
| Next episode:|