For Whom is the White Rose? The Moonlight Knight Appears
Usagi's picture show
|Name (Kanji/kana):||白いバラは誰に? 月影の騎士登場|
|Name (Romaji):||Shiroi Bara wa Dare ni? Tsukikage no Naito Toujou|
|Name (Translated):||For Whom is the White Rose? The Moonlight Knight Appears|
|Name (Viz Dub):||For Whom is the White Rose? The Moonlight Knight Appears|
|Animation Director:||Masahiro Ando|
|Air Date:||March 20, 1993|
|Previous Episode:||For Love and Justice! A Sailor Senshi Once Again|
|Next Episode:||Usagi's Crisis! The Tiara Doesn't Work|
|First English Dub Episode|
|Name:||A Knight to Remember|
|Air Date:||November 24, 1995|
|Previous Episode:||So You Want to be in Pictures|
|Next Episode:||VR Madness|
Usagi and Makoto meet Ami outside her cram school to ask about what will be on their test the following day. As Ami chides them for being irresponsible the Cardian Falion appears down the hill from them. Makoto approaches and immediately recognizes the Cardian's victim as Shinozaki before she is attacked by the Cardian in turn. Shinozaki manages to knock Makoto out of the way just in time, but goes flying over the edge of the hill. Falion disappears, and Makoto rushes down to find an injured and unconscious Shinozaki. An ambulance takes them to the hospital, but they run out of type O blood to give him, so Makoto volunteers to give hers.
Meanwhile, at Ail and An's apartment, Ail summons Falion with his flute, and the energy she has stolen rejuvenates the Makaiju. Ail puts Falion back into her card, and the two aliens discuss their victory and the care they should take in keeping their existence on earth secret. They kiss.
Back at the hospital, Makoto lies next to Shinozaki with IVs connecting them. Usagi and Ami reassure Makoto that they'll stay with her for a while and Ami asks who Shinozaki is. Makoto describes him as someone special that is always there for her. In a flashback, Makoto and a boy, identified as her boyfriend at the time, stand in a gazebo on a rainy day. He breaks up with her, despite her objections, and runs off into the rain. Shinozaki appears and puts an umbrella over Makoto. Makoto goes on to say that he's been there for her in difficult moments since she was little. Usagi assumes they must be in love. Makoto denies it, saying that their relationship may be more important than just lovers.
Later, at Usagi's house, Luna tells her that the Sailor Senshi will meet the next day at Hikawa Shrine to talk about the Cardian sighting. Usagi, however, is too busy drawing pictures of Princess Serenity and Prince Endymion in a plan to restore Mamoru's memory to really pay attention.
The next day at Hikawa Shrine, Luna, Artemis, and the Senshi discuss the new evil that has arisen and is targeting human energy. Ami speculates that it may be related to the meteor event a week ago. Makoto also mentions that Shinozaki is still bedridden.
Late as usual, Usagi rushes to the meeting, but on the way sees Natsumi and Mamoru standing in her path. Natsumi is trying to get Mamoru to take her on a date when Usagi butts in. She starts to tell Mamoru the story of their past lives, using the pictures she drew. Natsumi interrupts her just as she's finishing, and makes fun of her for being juvenile, and then they realize that Mamoru has slipped away while they were arguing. An runs after him, but Usagi stays back, feeling disappointed. Suddenly, Seijuurou shows up with red roses and pronounces his love for Usagi. She's flattered but drops her drawings, becomes flustered, and runs off. This just makes Seijuurou more determined to woo her.
Back at the Shrine, Rei conducts a fire reading. They see a vision of Falion in the fire, and Rei determines that she's looking for her next victim. Usagi finally arrives while the other four Senshi are rushing out in their uniforms. They tell her to hurry and transform but won't explain why, and Usagi transforms after some pouting. As they run toward the Cardian's location, however, Sailor Jupiter almost faints. Sailor Moon becomes very concerned, but Sailor Jupiter convinces Sailor Moon that she needs to get revenge for Shinozaki.
When the Senshi arrive they find that Falion is just about to attack a couple in a park. Sailor Jupiter attempts to use Supreme Thunder and is knocked out by an energy attack from Falion. Sailor Mars then tries to use Akuryo Taisan, but the Cardian shreds the ofuda to pieces. Finally Sailor Venus aims her Crescent Beam, but before her attack can be released Falion blasts Sailor Venus, Sailor Mars, and Sailor Mercury. Sailor Moon manages to dodge Falion's next attack and suddenly sees a white rose strike the ground. The Moonlight Knight appears in a tree for the first time and introduces himself. Falion tries to attack him, but he dodges quickly and destroys her energy wheel. He tells Sailor Moon he looks forward to talking with her in future, and disappears. Sailor Jupiter then recovers just in time to see Falion pounce on Sailor Moon. This puts Sailor Jupiter into a rage and she defeats the Cardian with a Supreme Thunder attack. Sailor Moon thanks Sailor Jupiter and the other three Senshi recover.
The next day, Shinozaki and his mother leave the hospital, with Makoto, Ami, and Usagi looking on from some ways away. Usagi suggests that Makoto go and say hello to him, but Makoto decides to be the one watching him from a distance this time. Usagi later thinks about the type of relationship between Makoto and Shinozaki. She also speculates that Moonlight Knight is Endymion, but is not sure how it's possible. Luna interrupts with Usagi's math textbook, reminding her of the test tomorrow. Usagi complains that school is so much more difficult than relationships.
- The Moonlight Knight made his first appearance in this episode.
- This episode included one of the rare instances in which a monster-of-the-day was destroyed by a Senshi other than Sailor Moon. In this case, it was Sailor Jupiter who finished off Falion with Supreme Thunder.
- Usagi's drawings and storytelling was reminiscent of Japanese kamishibai storytelling.
- When Makoto was thinking about the first time she met Shinozaki, "Anata no Sei Janai" was playing in the background. In the first English dub, it was replaced with "Rainy Day Man." In the Italian dub it was at first replaced by an instrumental version of "Eien no Melody," but the original song played when the series aired on the premium channel Hiro in 2009. The Korean dub replaced the song with instrumental music. The Hebrew, German, and Dutch and Russian dubs replaced it with a translated version of the song. The French and Hungarian dubs both removed the song without a replacement, however, when the anime was released on DVD in France, it was replaced with the instrumental version of the song. In the Indonesian dub, the song was replaced with a version of "Moonlight Densetsu" which had different lyrics than the one used with the opening sequence.
- This episode was skipped in the Swedish dub because the channel on which it was airing did not want to show singing in a foreign language in children's programming.
- The English dub title for this episode, "A Knight to Remember" is a pun on the phrase "A night to remember."
- In the German dub, Ami called Bunny "Usagi" instead of her dub name.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kae Araki
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Emi Shinohara
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Rica Fukami
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Artemis - Yasuhiro Takato
- Mamoru Chiba/Moonlight Knight - Tohru Furuya
- Ail/Seijuurou Ginga - Hikaru Midorikawa
- An/Natsumi Ginga - Yumi Touma
- Shinozaki - Yuusuke Numata
- Nurses - Asako Satou, Yuuko Sumitomo
- Falion - Tomoko Naka
| Previous episode:
Sailor Moon R
| Next episode:|