|This article is about the monsters used by the Dead Moon. For a character from the musical Shin Densetsu Kourin, see Lemures (character).|
Lemures (レムレス) were monsters used by the Amazon Trio and Amazoness Quartet during combat, though their nature was quite different in the anime than in the manga. In the first English dub, they were referred to as "Remless"; though the name change was never explained, fans speculate that it could be a reference to their lack of dreams, as dreams come during REM sleep.
In the anime, when Queen Nehellenia devoured the Dream Mirrors of her subjects in order to remain young, they became the distorted creatures known as Lemures. When they were defeated with Sailor Moon's attack Moon Gorgeous Meditation, they would cry the words, "Stage out!", whereupon Lemures under the control of the Amazon Trio would fade away and those under the control of the Amazoness Quartet shattered, allowing their target's Dream Mirror to return.
In the manga, however, they were dark, formless creatures, similar to the lemures of Roman myth.
Amazon Trio's Lemures
The Lemures used by the Amazon Trio were all based on circus acts.
The names of Hawk's Eye's Lemures ended in the suffix "-ko" (子), common in naming for girls in Japan. Like Tiger's Eye's Lemures, they all had a diamond symbol (♦) somewhere on their clothing or body.
Most of the names of Fisheye's Lemures ended in an "o" sound, common in naming for boys in Japan. They all had a spade symbol (♠) somewhere on their clothing or body.
Amazoness Quartet's Lemures
The Lemures used by the Amazoness Quartet were all referred to as "dream eating."
CereCere's Lemures were based on flowers, in accordance with her power over plants.
- In the musical Sailor Moon SuperS - Yume Senshi - Ai - Eien ni..., its revision, and the Sailor Moon SuperS Special Musical Show, there were a number of unnamed Lemures who helped the Amazon Trio.
- In Yume Senshi and its revision, there were also two clown-like Lemures called Pierrot. Many Pierrot later appeared in Shin Densetsu Kourin.
- In Shin Densetsu Kourin, there were three similar characters called Dark Moon, Lemures, and Nightmare.
In the video game Sailor Moon SuperS: Sailor Moon to Hiragana Lesson! for Playdia, there was a Lemures called Hiraganyan.
- In Pioneer's DVD box set of the anime, Lemures were still referred to as "Remless" in the subtitles.
- In the German dub, the Lemures did not say anything when they were defeated, instead just giving a wordless scream.
- In the French dub, the Lemures were called "Créatures du Chapiteau" (Circus Tent Creatures).